Google My Business is a free tool that allows you to promote your Business Profile and business website on Google Search and Maps. Google My Business account helps you to connect with your customers, post updates about your business and provide information about your business.
If you have a local business, optimizing your Google My Business listing is critically important. If you ask any local SEO expert to rank several different marketing channels like websites, email marketing, content marketing, SEO, and various types of advertising in terms of their importance for local businesses, the most important channel according to them is- a local business’s website and the second most important is Google My Business listing.
According to a survey 97% of people learn more about a local company online than any other platform. And as a business owner you should ensure that your business must be at the top of the list whenever a customer searches for local services.
And that’s why Google My Business is beneficial to businesses of all sizes. It gives you a competitive advantage to manage your online presence and attract customers searching for your business on Google search and maps.
With a Google My Business account, you’ll be able to share photos of your products or services, access and edit your business information (name, location, hours, etc.), and respond to reviews. Over time, this will give your business better visibility and engagement.
5 Benefits of Google My Business
Here are 5 reasons your business needs a Google My Business profile:
- Improve your search ranking and the visibility of your business
- Enhance your customer support and engagement
- Boost sales and traffic volume
- Reach a wider audience
- Establish your brand as a business authority
How to verify your Google My Business listing?
To do this follow the steps below:
- Enter the name of the person the verification postcard should be mailed to
- Specify the correct address where the card should be mailed to
- Click Send postcard.
- After a few weeks, you will receive the postcard with a verification number
- Log in to your Google My Business Account and click ‘Verify Now’ in the top red bar.
Next, follow the instructions where you will need to enter the verification code from your postcard.
According to their guidelines, it may take a few weeks for your information to appear on Google.
How to optimize your Google My Business listing for better ranking and visibility?
As a part of your marketing strategy, optimizing your listing for search engines and searchers is always a great opportunity.
To start with this right away, it is highly important to add as much relevant info and media as you can in the first days you are setting up your listing.
Here are some tips on how to set and optimize your Google My Business listing:
- Choose an appealing profile photo and cover photo, that will outstand in the list
- Be as detailed as possible when entering contact information, such as business category, business location, phone number, website URL, hours of operation, etc.
- Choose the relevant business type: storefront (restaurants, bars, hotels, etc.), service area (delivery, taxi service, transportation service etc.), or brand (products, brands, causes, etc.)
- Post lots of photos, especially if you are in the food business
- Get reviews, so you will eventually rank at the top
Just like any Google SEO strategy, your Google My Business strategy should center around providing as much quality information about your business as possible, not just in your Business Profile but in the sources that Google uses to populate it—your website, review site profiles, and even your social media accounts.
We can’t ever know every specific ranking factor, but we do know their ultimate goal: to connect searchers to the best business for their needs through detailed, trusted information. So focus on using your Google My Business dashboard to get your Business Profile to represent your business as accurately and thoroughly as possible, and then make sure to maintain this, and you will reap its benefits.